Thread: Installing Cisco Packet Tracer [Ubuntu] Share/Save - My123World.Com!

Installing Cisco Packet Tracer [Ubuntu]

Cisco packet tracer is a good utility for people who want to learn and understand the concepts of networking in a practical approach (CCNA and others). Its available for download on windows. But what about Linux Lovers? I just googled for it and found the required file which can be accessed from the link below:

MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service

After that unzip the file and place it on the desired directory and install it:

Code:
    ./PacketTracer52_i386.bin
    And finally your Cisco packet tracer is installed and ready to use

So enjoy your journey of packets and punks!

Regards
    The three great essentials to achieve anything worth while are: Hard work, Stick-to-itiveness, and Common sense. - Thomas A. Edison
    __________________________________________________ _____________________

Security Researcher
    Blog Entries
    I think Cisco itself offers PacketTracer for Linux, however the problem is its only for cisco academy students.

On a side note What i wonder always is how to create a simple network using Packet Tracer and put a BT VM as one note. Or even how to use gns 3 is simmilar scenario. Wanted to try it out but never got the chance to sit down and work it out.

If anyone can do share the info.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Blog :
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Network Security Administrator Hackuin's Avatar
    For CCNA or understanding level or to just get the feel of networks, Packet Tracer is good. But, you are soo much limited for further studies. For, example, I am currently preparing for CCIE, and did planned to attempt the CCIE written maybe next month or soo, GNS3 is very good option for everyone to work on after there CCNA, especially at CCSP (Which is actually retiring next month and replaced with CCNP SECURITY - and brought my nuts onn) or when come across with Juniper routers and, you got to work on with devices like, ASA/PIX/IDS, you just install GNS3 which is available free and even in default repository of most of distributions, you just need IOS, which you can find over internet.

Installing GNS3:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install gns3 dynamips
    You can get IOS over [ Cisco IOS images ]

PS: Note:
    You must consult, the gns3 document pages too.
    "Free software" is a matter of liberty, not price. To understand the concept, you should think of "free" as in "free speech," not as in "free beer."
    "Microsoft is not the answer. Microsoft is the question. NO (or Linux) is the answer."
    "Ubuntu - Linux For Human Beings."

Currently reading books:
    Integrating Forensic Investigation Methodology into eDiscovery -- by Colin Chisholm.
    Digital Forensics with Open Source Toolss -- by Cory Altheide && Harlan Carvey.