Thread: Did You Know - HTTP Header Field "referer" is a misspelling? Share/Save - My123World.Com!

... I am no Expert b0nd.g4h@gmail.com b0nd's Avatar

Did You Know - HTTP Header Field "referer" is a misspelling?

I am sure many did not know this

Origin of the term referer

The misspelling referer originated in the original proposal by computer scientist Phillip Hallam-Baker to incorporate the field into the HTTP specification.[1] The misspelling was set in stone by the time of its incorporation into the standards document Request for Comments (RFC) 1945; document co-author Roy Fielding has remarked that neither "referrer" nor the misspelling "referer" were recognized by the standard Unix spell checker of the period.[2] "Referer" has since become a widely used spelling in the industry when discussing HTTP referrers; usage of the misspelling is not universal, though, as the correct spelling of "referrer" is used in some web specifications such as the Document Object Model.

One of the source
    [*] To follow the path: look to the master, follow the master, walk with the master, see through the master,
    ------> become the master!!! <------
    [*] Everyone has a will to WIN but very few have the will to prepare to WIN
    [*] Invest yourself in everything you do, there's fun in being serious

WoW..!! Quite amazing fact. Didn't even thought of it
    The three great essentials to achieve anything worth while are: Hard work, Stick-to-itiveness, and Common sense. - Thomas A. Edison
    __________________________________________________ _____________________

I first read this in Web Application Hacker's Handbook. But thanks for the back story

Nice one. And I thought that is the actual spelling of it before this