Thread: Backtrack Installation confusions Share/Save - My123World.Com!

Backtrack Installation confusions

Hello,
    I would like to know what are the advantages of installing backtrack on hard disk & virtual machines? but if i install on hard disk can i use wi-fi through my laptops internal wi-fi card? please advice.. thanks in advance

Hi,

Well basically for Live boot you will have to save everything to HDD. If you installed some script or something would be lost. That is the first basic reason people install backtrack on HardDisk whether it may be Virtial or Real.

If you install BT on hard disk then you can use internal Wifi of your laptop if it is supported by BT or you install linux drivers for your laptop's internal wifi card.
    Orkut id: neo1981
    Blog: infosec-neo.blogspot.com
    Nothing is Impossible*

*Conditions Apply

Network Security & Pentesting Box (Backtrack) itself not secure..
    1. Need root privillage
    2. Many unwanted services and ports installed
    3. Old kernel
    .......any many other...

Instead of installing in physical partition, we can use virtual machines..or we can use latest Ubuntu version and insert backtrack repository and install useful software only.

virtual machines provide NAT features...we can create our own virtual network...but you can't use physical wi-fi card of leptops in virtual machine directly. physical machine create a virtual network for virtual machine but it virtual machine will not detect directly your wi-fi signals.

I think you are trying to hack WEP/WPA of a wifi connection by using backtrack virtual machine.

Blog Entries
    @Skorpinok: Yes basically you cant use your systems internal wifi card directly in BT inside VM. so generally people prefer HardDisk installation.
    yes you can use your systems internal wifi card if it is supported by BackTrack or you might need to install linux drivers for your systems internal wifi card if those are not available in BT out of the box.

let us know which wifi card is in your laptop...

@ Deepak : No Offense, but i am not agree with your thoughts... Find the below reasons for same.

Quote Originally Posted by Deepak Rathore View Post
    Network Security & Pentesting Box (Backtrack) itself not secure..

1. Need root privillage
    Yes Backtrack runs with root by default because few tools which we use for PenTest requires it. however if you feel unsafe with root user you can create other users with limited privileges and use it so it is not something without which you cant run BackTrack...

2. Many unwanted services and ports installed
    i think below blog post will help you for this point.
    The Official BackTrack Blog
    still if you have found any unwanted service or port open with fresh installation of backtrack you can contact backtrack team and help them to rectify it (yes, please help open source projects)

3. Old kernel
    All linux kernel gets older after few days or when new kernel is released. so do you want to say that people should install fresh OS every time new kernel releases even with Ubuntu??
    and how about patching bugs in old kernel itself instead of fresh installation for each new release of kernel, which are basically nothing but patched version of old kernel (trust me some times during patching process of old kernel you learn lot of inside of linux specially when you try to add new wifi modules and you mess up kernel )

.......any many other...
    If you have more points shoot them i would like to discuss about them also.

Instead of installing in physical partition, we can use virtual machines..or we can use latest Ubuntu version and insert backtrack repository and install useful software only.
    Yes this is possible and helps when you know which exact tools you need for your testing. still regarding point 1 you need login with root user again when you try to use few tools which required root access.

you can't use physical wi-fi card of leptops in virtual machine directly. physical machine create a virtual network for virtual machine but it virtual machine will not detect directly your wi-fi signals.
    This is true. however again if you have any external Wifi Card such as Alfa we can still connect that directly to BackTrack inside VM and we can use it directly. (i Prefer this when i have to do multiple work at a time such as reporting(Client likes reports using MSWORD only ) and Network PT which i like do on BT )
    Last edited by 41.w4r10r; 04-19-2012 at 12:03 PM.