Thread: plz suggest something for learning assembly language Share/Save - My123World.Com!

plz suggest something for learning assembly language

Hello G4H. I am in need of study material on assembly language. I am starting from scratch (basically i know C,C++, but never learnt Assembly). I have found some E-books, tried some tutorials on You-Tube. But nothing gives a complete picture. And I am finding it very difficult to cope up with the Assembly Primer series videos- by Vivek Ramachandran, becoz i have not collected complete understanding of Assembly and i trying to catch up with buffer overflow tutorials. I am lacking in 32-bit Assembly coding in Linux and GDB usage. This is where i get stuck. So can anyone plz suggest me a complete & short tutorial or book on Assembly and GDB? Thanks in advance...
    Last edited by marc_kriss; 08-09-2012 at 10:41 PM.

Super Commando Dhruv abhaythehero's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    This is not very often that people say that they are finding it difficult to cope with Vivek Ramachandran videos. They are so detailed.

Maybe your C/C++ background is hampering you from learning fast. Happens all of the time as people find it difficult to migrate.
    Also, assembly requires patience. You have to read and read a lot. Try taking a break and then starting it again.

Begin with GDB from the book Beginning Linux Programming, Chapter 10, Debugging with gdb >>
    Beginning Linux Programming - Neil Matthew, Richard Stones - Google Books

Maybe switch now to Vivek Ramachandran videos again.
    Here are some of the links (you probably would have tried them already) >> Open Directory - Computers: Programming: Languages: Assembly: x86: FAQs, Help, and Tutorials
    In the world of 0s and 1s, are you a zero or The One !

Thanks alot ABHAY...couldn't reply soon (was busy for 2 days). Also want to share a book for everyone's info (heard about it in IRC). It is a very detailed & basic book, nicely explained:- "Programming from the Ground Up by Jonathan Bartlett". It is freely available. A great book for beginners. & Again thanks abhay...

... I am no Expert b0nd.g4h@gmail.com b0nd's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by marc_kriss View Post
    Thanks alot ABHAY...couldn't reply soon (was busy for 2 days). Also want to share a book for everyone's info (heard about it in IRC). It is a very detailed & basic book, nicely explained:- "Programming from the Ground Up by Jonathan Bartlett". It is freely available. A great book for beginners. & Again thanks abhay...
    That's exactly what I suggested in this thread - http://www.garage4hackers.com/f22/ho...iques-226.html

Cheers!
    [*] To follow the path: look to the master, follow the master, walk with the master, see through the master,
    ------> become the master!!! <------
    [*] Everyone has a will to WIN but very few have the will to prepare to WIN
    [*] Invest yourself in everything you do, there's fun in being serious

Garage Member
    Unkn0wn City,Unkn0wn State,Unkn0wn Country,Unkn0wn Continent,PLanet Eart,Milkyway Galaxy,Virgo Super
    If u know C/C++ there is a book name Guide to Assembly Language it will teach you asm in very nice way it was published by Springer.

Quote Originally Posted by H@CK3R_ADI View Post
    If u know C/C++ there is a book name Guide to Assembly Language it will teach you asm in very nice way it was published by Springer.
    Thanks ADI... i am downloading it

Quote Originally Posted by b0nd View Post
    That's exactly what I suggested in this thread - http://www.garage4hackers.com/f22/ho...iques-226.html

Cheers!
    ya B0ND... I took it from your thread only. Sorry i forgot to mention your thread.

I would add a a bit or two:

1. Art of Assembly Language Programming (Art of Assembly Language Programming and HLA by Randall Hyde)
    2. Shellcoders Handbook

:-)