Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: seriously need a guideline for future career Share/Save - My123World.Com!

seriously need a guideline for future career

Hello & my regards to all. It has been long since I posted a thread just for asking for advice. I seriously need some light on this issue. The issue:-
    I have been madly studying Hacking/security for long (1 year). Always had a dream to become a hacker/expert/master/pentester/forensic investigator, which makes me study like mad with full energy. Last year I studied CCNA for basics. Then done C,C++,Redhat,Python studies. Now I was almost on the edge to signup for Pentesting with Backtrack (PWB). Why PWB at initial stage only? Because I cant stay with this half knowledge and can't start with trivial certs. For me knowledge is everything that can satisfy me internally. I can't go ahead with fooling the world and myself. Thats why I chose the almighty knowledged Offensive security.
    But now the concerns have had a change. Due to some very strange reasons I am not ready to go for PWB. The reason is that I am not going to be a pentester/ Forensic investigator. There are some reasons. For laymen understanding- no connection with anything which has direct links with hacking field. But I can't leave this dream alone.
    So Plz you guys suggest me some other areas (like research kind of thing) in security. Firstly CCNA, CCNP line was clicking in my head but it would be my last choice in IT (I dont like microsoft certs, since there is no technicality over there). I am not in IT field presently (presently working in electronics). Wanted to start IT with OSCP. I have total 6 years for preparing myself for next career.
    I have huge amount of energy for studying. Like I recently started studying Assembly programming, within 20 days i gripped it well & was able to make a tutorial thread here.
    http://www.garage4hackers.com/f42/as...deos-2601.html
    So if you people could judge my capacity and advice me, and what would be the pre requisites. Looking forward for your helps. Thanks...-Marc
    Last edited by marc_kriss; 09-20-2012 at 01:47 PM.

Blog Entries
    Well find my email-id and sent me you'r resume if you are interested in a JOB talk
    Hacking Is a Matter of Time Knowledge and Patience

Thanks alot for your concerns, but I am in a job with a bond which will complete after 7 more years, thats why I asked for guidance about what to do.

Garage Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by marc_kriss View Post
    Hello & my regards to all. It has been long since I posted a thread just for asking for advice. I seriously need some light on this issue. The issue:-
    I have been madly studying Hacking/security for long (1 year). Always had a dream to become a hacker/expert/master/pentester/forensic investigator, which makes me study like mad with full energy. Last year I studied CCNA for basics. Then done C,C++,Redhat,Python studies. Now I was almost on the edge to signup for Pentesting with Backtrack (PWB). Why PWB at initial stage only? Because I cant stay with this half knowledge and can't start with trivial certs. For me knowledge is everything that can satisfy me internally. I can't go ahead with fooling the world and myself. Thats why I chose the almighty knowledged Offensive security.
    But now the concerns have had a change. Due to some very strange reasons I am ready to go for PWB. The reason is that I am not going to be a pentester/ Forensic investigator. There are some reasons. For laymen understanding- no connection with anything which has direct links with hacking field. But I can't leave this dream alone.
    So Plz you guys suggest me some other areas (like research kind of thing) in security. Firstly CCNA, CCNP line was clicking in my head but it would be my last choice in IT (I dont like microsoft certs, since there is no technicality over there). I am not in IT field presently (presently working in electronics). Wanted to start IT with OSCP. I have total 6 years for preparing myself for next career.
    I have huge amount of energy for studying. Like I recently started studying Assembly programming, within 20 days i gripped it well & was able to make a tutorial thread here.
    http://www.garage4hackers.com/f42/as...deos-2601.html
    So if you people could judge my capacity and advice me, and what would be the pre requisites. Looking forward for your helps. Thanks...-Marc
    Hey Mark. Well, this is how I decided I should be in the future . When i was in college, I am a gaming addict (DotA mainly).I was the Captain of a popular clan in GG which naturally means i didn't cover the college subjects well. There are three reasons for that, gaming, no proper teachers, but the main reason is that I always asked myself "WTF am i gonna do with that?". Looking back I realize what a great mistake I have done. Judging by the videos you made, i assume that you are more inclined towards exploit development. So for that, you need strong OS skills, not just the theory but also the code. Try reading about the Linux kernel(there are a plenty of books out there, the one I started just now is Linux kernel architecture). Then without compilers knowledge, you cant be an "expert" reverse engineer (note expert). So read about it too. There is a compilers course @ http://coursera.org. It is starting in 2 weeks i guess. I am gonna enroll. Moving from user space exploitation to kernel space exploitation requires you to have knowledge on device driver development, knowing the internals of OS etc, learn about user mode & kernel mode debugging. Only book that is highly useful for reversing is Reversing:secrets of reverse engineers. Know proper Data structures and algorithms , it is a must for whatever big project you are working on. Being an expert in all these will take like 2-3 years I guess. These are all the things I wanted to do in my path so I am sharing you these. Also, when you are free audit some open source code. Remember, all the knowledge you acquire will be of no use if you dont put them to use. And the rest,my friend, as they say is history.

Best Regards.

Thanks a tons sebas. But one question arises- what is the scope of career and jobs/self buisness after mastering all these things? Well let me be clear, it is family pressure that i shouldn't go for hacking/forensics. Their fears are involved in it. Can't help it. What have you thought of doing after mastering exploit development. I mean how do you put it into a career. Again plz mind that family pressure.

Garage Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks a tons sebas. But one question arises- what is the scope of career and jobs/self buisness after mastering all these things? Well let me be clear, it is family pressure that i shouldn't go for hacking/forensics. Their fears are involved in it. Can't help it. What have you thought of doing after mastering exploit development. I mean how do you put it into a career. Again plz mind that family pressure.
    IMO, forget about career when you learn. Just learn with a passion and everything else will come to you automatically. About family, it is upto you to convince your family man, cant help you out there. To me, it is just learn, and go with the flow. Btw, there are a lot of people from g4h in reputed infosec company and they will help you out on your career. So again, dont worry about career , just learn, rest all will be taken care of by itself.

ok, Sebas thanks alot for sharing with me, really a good source you have told me. Anyways its a long night you have been awaken till 6 AM.
    Friends any other options? I want to have some options and then pick up a suitable one. Plz provide some variables.

Due to some very strange reasons I am ready to go for PWB. The reason is that I am not going to be a pentester/ Forensic investigator. There are some reasons. For laymen understanding- no connection with anything which has direct links with hacking field.
    I mistakenly left a "no" in my post. It was to be " I am not ready to go for PWB"

Can anyone suggest some research field?? Something similar to what Sebas_phoenix suggested.
    Last edited by marc_kriss; 09-20-2012 at 03:29 PM.

Blog Entries
    Well I am not good in suggestions, but all I could say is pick up something you find interesting then go for that , instead of other people suggestions.
    Hacking Is a Matter of Time Knowledge and Patience