Thread: Attempt to thread Nmap scans Share/Save - My123World.Com!

Attempt to thread Nmap scans

Hello Hackers;

How are you doing !
    Well .. My office people were facing an issue with Nmap scans for a large number of hosts.
    The issue was that, if an Nmap scan is ran for lets say a hundred hosts. Nmap will first linearly run all the scans and then will generate a single output file for it. In the process if one IP takes alot of time due to any reason, we are stuck with no actual output.

I was thinking about writing something which will thread Nmap and will give us better performance.
    But then I thought, Why thread just Nmap ? There should be something to thread any linear bash process.
    I got something named PPSS - [(Distributed) Parallel Processing Shell Script]. This script simply does what we want.

Here is a simple example.

Lets say there is a text file of all hundred IPs we wanna scan. Let the filename be IPs.txt
    So simply we will just run following nmap command via PPSS script.

ppss -f IPs.txt -c 'nmap -n -P0 -A -oN "$ITEM" "$ITEM"' -p 10

The $ITEM will be the IP address from IPS.txt. The "-p" argument is the number of processes.
    So the command will run 10 Nmap instances at a time and will save all results in separate files.

So it is recommended to install PPSS on your hacktop !

Original source and coder of the project :

Scanning many hosts in parallel with Nmap using PPSS

Google code link for the Project: Downloads - ppss - (Distributed) Parallel Processing Shell Script - parallel processing made easy! - Google Project Hosting

Ro(Ha)ck On !!

--

Godwin Austin

PS. Also check out the dnmap (Distributed Nmap Project)
    Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed

Blog Entries
    and welcome back Godwin_Austin...