Thread: Help in building local network for my hacking lab Share/Save - My123World.Com!

Question Help in building local network for my hacking lab

hi everyone,

so here is the thing.. my laptop's ram is too small to host 4 operating systems namely: backtrack 5, metasploitable, ubuntu 9.04, windows xp and with the main operating system os x.... (total to 5 OSs)
    so i left backtrack in my macbook and moved the lab into my windows machine.. with 2Gb ram...

i tried making the lab's machines on bridge mode in vmware (in my windows machine) but then i discovered that my ISP network is an NAT network.. It is like I have a local Ip (in the form 10.13.1.70 ) on each machine... and when i try pining the other machines from my backtrack, it doesn't ping through the internet..

So I was wondering how i can create a local network at home for my personal use.. Like what do i need? will an adhoc do?? or do i need to buy some hardware??

and how should the network be like? I tried searching on google about this but i couldn't get to something useful...

plus when the linux machines are on bridged mode, they never use an IPv4... they always have an IPv6 which terribly confuse me! how does it work?? how can i use it with Nessus? how can i ping it?? and how to set it in RHOST in msf???? it just gives me a headache! so is there a way to force it to use IPv4?

sorry i am not a networking dude... i would love to learn though..

I am also sorry if my thread doesnt make lots of sense.. but i guess this is why we r called beginners right? so pleaase help! and thanks in advance to anyone who attempts to help!!

Hello,

Looks you are into a lot of mess. Since I used ADSL router sometime back, I had easy access on VMs in the host machine using bridge option in the VMware. For using RHOST over a remote IP (other than your local IP) you must use the concept of port forwarding. Rest you can use local IP of the victim machine in your local network. You can find many freeware tools over the internet for port forwarding or access the router and look for a self to do.

I suppose if you are using a Router, you can stimulate a small practice lab using the available resource. Lets wait for the other answers too.
    The three great essentials to achieve anything worth while are: Hard work, Stick-to-itiveness, and Common sense. - Thomas A. Edison
    __________________________________________________ _____________________

... I am no Expert b0nd.g4h@gmail.com b0nd's Avatar
    Let's resolve them one by one.

Quote Originally Posted by Awah Mohamed View Post
    hi everyone,

i tried making the lab's machines on bridge mode in vmware (in my windows machine) but then i discovered that my ISP network is an NAT network.. It is like I have a local Ip (in the form 10.13.1.70 ) on each machine... and when i try pining the other machines from my backtrack, it doesn't ping through the internet..
    What's the topology of your network? i.e. what network device your ISP has put into your premises? When you connect to internet from host machine, what IP address to you see for you host machine (ipconfig - for windows, ifconfig - for linux)?

Cheers!
    [*] To follow the path: look to the master, follow the master, walk with the master, see through the master,
    ------> become the master!!! <------
    [*] Everyone has a will to WIN but very few have the will to prepare to WIN
    [*] Invest yourself in everything you do, there's fun in being serious

thanks guys for replying,
    @prashant_uniyal: the problem is I have no access to the router to use port forwarding
    @b0nd: I have no idea what it is.. 10.37.129.2 is the main laptop's ip... the VMs when set to NAT they give a good looking ip in the form of : 192.168.224.132 and when in bridge mood, the give ipv6 which is too long to remember..
    I actually got to know that I am under NAT network through VNC network check...

so do u think there is anyway to bypass the NAT thing without actually having the router?

by the way, I am using a modem.. so the IP is from the modem... so can that be caused by it or is it an ISP issue??

... I am no Expert b0nd.g4h@gmail.com b0nd's Avatar
    Ok, I am dubious now. Please post the screenshot of your VMs when they have acquired, so called, IPv6 IPs. If can't paste screenshot, at least copy paste the text here.

Cheers!
    [*] To follow the path: look to the master, follow the master, walk with the master, see through the master,
    ------> become the master!!! <------
    [*] Everyone has a will to WIN but very few have the will to prepare to WIN
    [*] Invest yourself in everything you do, there's fun in being serious