Thread: Need guidance to begin career in Information security domain Share/Save - My123World.Com!

Need guidance to begin career in Information security domain

Hi ,

I want to make my career in information security domain . In order to achieve which path should I all ?
    I graduated as Computer Science engineer. Should I pursue masters in Info sec domain or should I take some Certificate courses?
    If masters, Please suggest me some good universities either in INDIA/US/UK/Germany?
    If certificate course , suggest me from which certificate course to kick off with?

PS: I am quite good in programming in c,c++,java and Networking concepts. Based on this please guide me.
    I know there is similar post in this forum but that was edited in 2010.I am looking for answer from perspective of present market tend

... I am no Expert b0nd.g4h@gmail.com b0nd's Avatar
    Hi msankith,

I've a new colleague in my office. He has already flunked twice in his 2nd year of engineering, not sure whether he would be able to complete his BTech.
    So how did he manage to get into his first job? Degree? Certificate? - NO, Just SKILLS. He is good at what he does and we had requirement for that.

I noticed you liked one of my post about job scenario for freshers.
    The security market is still the same, and most of the old posts are valid and would remain the same for next couple of years atleast.

That doesn't mean students should not complete their degree, they must. But let people see your work. Do not expect them to have dreams about your skills.
    Cheers!
    [*] To follow the path: look to the master, follow the master, walk with the master, see through the master,
    ------> become the master!!! <------
    [*] Everyone has a will to WIN but very few have the will to prepare to WIN[*] Invest yourself in everything you do, there's fun in being serious

Hi Bond,
    Thanks for your reply .
    I am newbie to this security domain.
    It would be very helpful if you guide me how to kick off with .

Let me tell you about myself . I am good in maths ,applying logic's and ofcourse programming. I am very keen to make my career in Info Sec domain . Right now I am working as software developer in top company, which has nothing to do with info sec and I am desperately need to change my job . So,Any kind of assistance is appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by msankith View Post
    Hi Bond,
    Thanks for your reply .
    I am newbie to this security domain.
    It would be very helpful if you guide me how to kick off with .

Let me tell you about myself . I am good in maths ,applying logic's and ofcourse programming. I am very keen to make my career in Info Sec domain . Right now I am working as software developer in top company, which has nothing to do with info sec and I am desperately need to change my job . So,Any kind of assistance is appreciated.
    Hi msankith,

Considering the skills you possess (programming, developer), I would suggest you to start with Web Application Vulnerabilities. Start with OWASP Top 10 Vulnerabilities, try to understand the concepts, spend time analyzing and exploiting them. Target 6-12 months of intensive studies on security topics.

Web Pentesting jobs are hot in market and roughly 8/10 pentesting jobs are for for those who know Web Application Pentesting.

Do check our Web Application Sub-Forum - amolNaik has posted some good guidelines for people.

And mind it - share what ever you could, as already said, people not gonna dream about your skills.

Cheers!
    [*] To follow the path: look to the master, follow the master, walk with the master, see through the master,
    [*] Everyone has a will to WIN but very few have the will to prepare to WIN[*] Invest yourself in everything you do, there's fun in being serious

Thanks a ton bond . Couple more questions?
    After having experience as an Pen Tester ? What will be the next ?
    What's the highest position one can achieve in this domain ?

Quote Originally Posted by msankith View Post
    Thanks a ton bond . Couple more questions?
    After having experience as an Pen Tester ? What will be the next ?
    What's the highest position one can achieve in this domain ?
    Depends on personal interest and market trend.

e.g. in Asia, people, as usual, follow market trend. They start with pen-testing then move to process (ISO, BCP, DR etc.). Actually Asian market is still lacking research work. So people, left with no choice, move to process.

Others, stick to technical stuff. Goes deeper into core subjects like exploitation, Reverse Engineering, malware, coding etc.

If you talk about "highest position" - become a technical manager

The scenario is different in Western countries. They invest heavily into research.

Cheers!

PS: Your location says that you are in Bangalore. Start attending Garage+SecurityXploded+Null monthly meets there. You'll learn a lot and get to know people in security domain. Meets are free, no cost.