Thread: Directly viewing source in Chrome , without rendering html/js Share/Save - My123World.Com!

Super Commando Dhruv abhaythehero's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Directly viewing source in Chrome , without rendering html/js

Here is a neat trick (according to me) for people who are analyzing a suspected malicious website/watering hole attack. To fetch the source html/js code of the website, mostly we do wget and then read the code in a text editor.

In chrome, by doing

Code:
    view-source:URL
    in the address bar, chrome will directly display the html/js source code of the website, and will NOT render or run anything. So no chance of anything getting executed and you being infected.

Eg. I suspect google.com to be malicious. So initial forensics to view source code then and there in chrome browser :

Code:
    view-source:http://www.google.com
    In the world of 0s and 1s, are you a zero or The One !

Security Researcher
    Blog Entries
    This is not just chrome i started using it long back with firefox. when you used to view source in firefox it use to open new tab / window with this in url and so i started using it..

another tip.

if you are doing a pentest and want to get a shell running with minimal code. just let the shell echo the output without any html text enclosing it. then use the viewsource mode to view the shell output it will be autoprettified :P.
    applicable for shell as well as file inclusion or file read / directory traversal'.

also keep in mind the link are clickable and they will open view-source mode only.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Blog :
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.