Thread: Where should a commerce graduate start learning? Share/Save - My123World.Com!

Question Where should a commerce graduate start learning?

Hi Friends,

Its a bit challenging part of my life to take a deviation from commerce after a long seven years, because the passion lies here with computers and hacking.

The only programming experience I had in my life was in vb and pl/sql in 12th standard and I agree that it can't be considered as a programming experience.
    It would be of great help if you could just help me with some doubts.

1. Where should I start the very beginning of my journey?
    Seen the slide "Breaking into Security" and understood that learning to code is of great help.
    From the article "How to become a hacker?" by Eric S Raymond (Thank you sir), it was clear that Linux is also an inevitable factor in hacker culture.

Please point me to the right place to begin from even if its not with Linux or programming.

2. Where should I focus towards in the learning process? Actually, I do not know where to specialize in Information Security field. Penetration Testers are he most common white hat hackers as far as it read. But what can be the base of selecting a key area for skill development, research and specialization?

Please feel free to mention any important points I have not asked here.
    Thank You Guys. Happy Hacking.

... I am no Expert b0nd.g4h@gmail.com b0nd's Avatar
    Remember - everyone starts from scratch!

Start reading & learning about web application penetration testing. OWASP Top 10 could be a pointer & shift your base OS from windows to Linux.
    Go through forum posts well & you'll get more idea on how you could start well.

Cheers!
    [*] To follow the path: look to the master, follow the master, walk with the master, see through the master,
    ------> become the master!!! <------
    [*] Everyone has a will to WIN but very few have the will to prepare to WIN
    [*] Invest yourself in everything you do, there's fun in being serious

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by b0nd View Post
    Remember - everyone starts from scratch!

Start reading & learning about web application penetration testing. OWASP Top 10 could be a pointer & shift your base OS from windows to Linux.
    Go through forum posts well & you'll get more idea on how you could start well.

Cheers!
    Thank You b0nd, let me start with that. By the way, I have already installed Kali Linux besides windows, though I do not know much to use the distro. Hope I can manage that from the forums.

Garage Member
    Blog Entries
    Hi r0B-O,

If you're starting with Linux, I'd suggest starting with something as simple as Xubuntu or Linux Mint. There are various tutorials available online that'll explain the concepts of Linux-based OSes. Start fiddling around with the OS, search for your problems on Internet. This is probably how most people learn. Getting familiarity with Linux-based OSes will help you in the long run.

As for programming, you can start playing with C for starting your journey. As you're just starting, just try to grasp the basic programming concepts like variables, loops, conditional statements, file operations, etc. Once you're comfortable with these concepts, you can move to Python which is pretty easy to learn on your own.

If you've any problems, Google them, chances are that someone has already faced them and solved them. If you still dont get the answer, ask here. Members might be able to help. Here's how your approach is supposed to be while asking questions - http://garage4hackers.com/showthread.php?t=3078

Also, search the forum. There's a whole lot of information here.

Happy hacking!

Regards,
    c0dist
    Anyone who stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty. Anyone who
    keeps learning stays young. The greatest thing in life is to keep your mind young.
    - Henry Ford

Thank You c0dist.

Is there any disadvantage if I install linux in VM ware just to learn and understand it? Beacause I wish to keep Kali installation as installing it was dificult as I had nvidia Optimus.

Regads
    r0B-O

Sorry
    Please ignore the last query dear friend c0dist and I will search for it and only if I didn't get solution I will be back here, Thanks for reminding.

Thank You,
    Regards,
    r0B-O

NVidia Optimus is pain as far as installation of Linux is concerned!

For best learning, if possible, stay away from windows for 1-2 months and use Linux only. Having it in VM or dual boot entices you to use windows only. For fastest learning it must be your Host OS and only OS to boot into.
    Rather than removing windows, you can hide it's entry in grub of Linux so that you won't get access to windows until something very important is there for you to boot into windows.

For years my set up has been - Host OS as Linux, Windows in VMware.

Cheers!
    [*] To follow the path: look to the master, follow the master, walk with the master, see through the master,

Quote Originally Posted by b0nd View Post
    NVidia Optimus is pain as far as installation of Linux is concerned!

For best learning, if possible, stay away from windows for 1-2 months and use Linux only. Having it in VM or dual boot entices you to use windows only. For fastest learning it must be your Host OS and only OS to boot into.
    Rather than removing windows, you can hide it's entry in grub of Linux so that you won't get access to windows until something very important is there for you to boot into windows.

For years my set up has been - Host OS as Linux, Windows in VMware.

Cheers!
    Somehow I managed to get Kali installed already as host OS and it is working without much troubles. BOnly because now I'm undergoing my training in a ca office and use of windows is only needed there to work on softwares like Tally which needs server access. If I install windows in VMware in Linux Host, will it be possible to get netwok access from that windows virtual box?

Thanks loads

Yes, there are multiple options for configuring networking on virtual hosts. Keeping it in NAT mode shall be helpful in your scenario.

Anyway, you could have googled it first!

Thank a lot.
    I won't repeat this once again. Google First, Then here from next time onwads. Sure.