Thread: Penetration Testing Process Share/Save - My123World.Com!

Question Penetration Testing Process

How many type of Penetration Testing we do and what's its process? Please describe it briefly.

... I am no Expert b0nd.g4h@gmail.com b0nd's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ParniNair View Post
    How many type of Penetration Testing we do and what's its process? Please describe it briefly.
    That sounds like a 'question' in question paper

How many do you know about? First let us know what you know so that discussion could be picked from there.

Cheers!
    [*] To follow the path: look to the master, follow the master, walk with the master, see through the master,
    ------> become the master!!! <------
    [*] Everyone has a will to WIN but very few have the will to prepare to WIN
    [*] Invest yourself in everything you do, there's fun in being serious

Penetration Testing

Well said
    I don't have much knowledge about penetration testing as I know basically it a legal process that is used for gaining access to a protected computer system or network. This process is normally performed by the third party organization or as we hire any agency in order to measure the security level and know the vulnerability status of the system.

Can you help me to know more about it?

Smile Penetration Testing

Well said
    I don't have much knowledge about penetration testing as I know basically it a legal process that is used for gaining access to a protected computer system or network. This process is normally performed by the third party organization or as we hire any agency in order to measure the security level and know the vulnerability status of the system.
    I think we do penetration testing by techniques external penetration testing and internal penetration testing but don't have enough information about these.
    Can you help me to know more about it?

... I am no Expert b0nd.g4h@gmail.com b0nd's Avatar
    Yes, you know the terms, just need to google more about them.
    Generally, 3rd parties are hired to perform required Penetration Testing. Following could be their different forms:

1. Network Penetration Test - mostly covering Servers & Network devices (ports & services)
    - further, it could be Internal penetration test or external penetration test

2. Web Application Penetration Test - mostly covering vulnerabilities on Web applications & services (port 80, port 443)
    - again, based on requirement, it could be covering internet facing web applications of organization or internal apps not accessible from Internet

3. Wireless Penetration Test - To check security of Access points etc.

4. All of above mentioned could also be categorised under "Black Box Penetration Testing" (though rarely you get opportunity for that but it's the most difficult and exciting), White Box Penetration Testing, Gray Box Penetration Testing

... anything that could process data, store data, provide some service could be part of some kind of penetration testing.

Few more terms for you to google - "Penetration Test" & "Vulnerability Assessment"

Cheers!
    [*] To follow the path: look to the master, follow the master, walk with the master, see through the master,
    ------> become the master!!! <------
    [*] Everyone has a will to WIN but very few have the will to prepare to WIN
    [*] Invest yourself in everything you do, there's fun in being serious

Thumbs up Penetration Testing

Thanks dear for your favorable answers. I'll definitely make a search on these topics as you have shared with a small descriptions.