Thread: Nmap Network IP Scanning Share/Save - My123World.Com!

Question Nmap Network IP Scanning

After scanning a remote IP with nmap, I've found that it was the IP of the router. What is to be done to find and scan specific systems connected to that router and set them as target in metasploit?

Thank You

Short Answer : No, by default you can connect to system inside unless router has configured that way.

Long Answer:
    In normal scenario router wont give away directly the machine behind the router.
    You are talking about a home router or business router ?
    If it is home router by default all incoming connections will be blocked. Unless the user has set any port forwarding rule or setup a machine in DMZ network.
    In case of some port fowarding is setup router wont let you know information to which inside IP the port is forwarded it would just show as open port of the public IP address of the router.
    In this scenario you would can pass packets directly to the service running behing the port forward (any inside machine that is configured in portforward). But packets would be forwared to only that specific port.

Hope this clears your doubt.
    Orkut id: neo1981
    Blog: infosec-neo.blogspot.com
    Nothing is Impossible*

*Conditions Apply

Quote Originally Posted by neo View Post
    Short Answer : No, by default you can connect to system inside unless router has configured that way.

Long Answer:
    In normal scenario router wont give away directly the machine behind the router.
    You are talking about a home router or business router ?
    If it is home router by default all incoming connections will be blocked. Unless the user has set any port forwarding rule or setup a machine in DMZ network.
    In case of some port fowarding is setup router wont let you know information to which inside IP the port is forwarded it would just show as open port of the public IP address of the router.
    In this scenario you would can pass packets directly to the service running behing the port forward (any inside machine that is configured in portforward). But packets would be forwared to only that specific port.

Hope this clears your doubt.
    neo,
    I've tried with TP-Link & D-Link ADSL modem + routers, both are home routers and the IP used was of the ISP alloted one. Could that be a problem? Anyway, let me try if anything possible through that forwarded port, if any. Thank you neo.

Regards,
    r0B-O

... I am no Expert b0nd.g4h@gmail.com b0nd's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by r0B-O View Post
    neo,
    I've tried with TP-Link & D-Link ADSL modem + routers, both are home routers and the IP used was of the ISP alloted one. Could that be a problem?

Regards,
    r0B-O
    There is no problem. It is meant to work like that. Please elaborate if you still have confusions.

Cheers!
    [*] To follow the path: look to the master, follow the master, walk with the master, see through the master,
    ------> become the master!!! <------
    [*] Everyone has a will to WIN but very few have the will to prepare to WIN
    [*] Invest yourself in everything you do, there's fun in being serious