Thread: Brush-Up your skills: Ver 2.0 Share/Save - My123World.Com!

Super Commando Dhruv abhaythehero's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb Brush-Up your skills: Ver 2.0

Kinda like this thread http://www.garage4hackers.com/showthread.php?213 made by 41.w4r10r

The other day I was solving problems in codechef (ohh common .. they are tough .. ), and I realized the fact that often in pursuit of solving a problem, we learn much more.Moreover the practical approach to the problem makes our concepts clear.

To cut things short,
    why not we have some sort of little challenges/questions/problems asked by 1 team member ( who of course knows the answer ) and the other members try to solve it.
    Members could take turns to pose a problem .. say once in 15 days or maybe a month.

Topics can be Cryptography,Finding XSS in a site,Coding a script,Cracking a file etc etc.( I am sure lots of members will come with more creative ones !!)

PM can be used for answering rather than posting and spoiling the fun before the deadline.

Anyways, just a thought

Abhay
    In the world of 0s and 1s, are you a zero or The One !

Blog Entries
    At abhay we had the same thread in orkut garage comm http://www.orkut.co.in/Main#CommMsgs...66815&kw=brush
    , and it was the most best thing in garage, and thanks for bringing it back abhay am renaming the thread to "Brush your skills"

I will delete my "thank u post" once u see this and lets start it with good questions
    Hacking Is a Matter of Time Knowledge and Patience

Blog Entries
    Lets start it. Maybe we should frame some basic rules.

Suggesting rules from Orkut thread >>
    Ok, what we all as members are suppose to do is, fire questions in this thread keeping following constraints in mind:
    a> You must know the answer to your quiz question.
    b> Wait for 48 hours before you reply
    c> Toughness of question could range from very simple to in-depth level.
    *Maybe we should increase the time frame from 48 hrs to around 1 week to 10 days.
    Reason: This is keeping in mind that a lot of members have busy schedule.We can decrease it afterward as per response.

*Question should be categorized with 'Basic', ' Medium' and 'Tough' .
    Reason: Everyone knows how we scratch our heads and lift the whole town on our heads thinking a problem. And then when it turns out that it was a googly ..

*We can PM our responses to the member who posted the question.Then after the time frame , he can post all the responses he got with the correct soln to follow.
    Reason: Of course we don't want answers to be seen below the posts ( within the time frame, i.e.)
    and lose an opportunity to try a hand ourselves

*We have to come up with some round robin algorithm so that more members can put up a question.
    Reason: Saw in orkut thread that only a little number of members were posting questions.

*No framing of questions on outputs involving bugs of compilers,interpreters,etc.Questions should be as much independent of compilers,hardware,operating systems etc. as possible.
    Reason: Remember that time we wasted with turbo - c

Request to other members >>

Plz point out your views and improvements so we can start this ASAP !!
    Last edited by abhaythehero; 01-21-2011 at 04:04 AM. Reason: Added some of the suggestions for 'Rules'

... I am no Expert b0nd.g4h@gmail.com b0nd's Avatar
    Hi Abhay,

Thanks for bringing up the idea again.
    Agree, we shall spend some time first on the pros and cons of various rules for it.

In addition to all the amendments you suggested (which I agree), the person who reply to the question in PM shall also mention in the thread that PM has been sent or question has been PASSed. This would help others get informed that how many members have replied to the question in PM or at least have given a thought before PASSing it. Probably it would help keeping the thread live and interesting.

Else, how about starting it in the form of polls? Does Vbulletin provide such option where apart from having 4-5 options for the answer there is place for discussion as well? I need to check.

Members, please do suggest.
    [*] To follow the path: look to the master, follow the master, walk with the master, see through the master,
    ------> become the master!!! <------
    [*] Everyone has a will to WIN but very few have the will to prepare to WIN
    [*] Invest yourself in everything you do, there's fun in being serious

Blog Entries
    make it a sticky

Very nice initiative abhay bro Please proceed and help us know further.

Regards
    The three great essentials to achieve anything worth while are: Hard work, Stick-to-itiveness, and Common sense. - Thomas A. Edison
    __________________________________________________ _____________________

... I am no Expert b0nd.g4h@gmail.com b0nd's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fb1h2s View Post

I will delete my "thank u post" once u see this and lets start it with good questions
    Fb1, let's keep this thread open for couple of days for suggestions. Will start a new thread later on for brushing up the skills.
    [*] To follow the path: look to the master, follow the master, walk with the master, see through the master,
    ------> become the master!!! <------
    [*] Everyone has a will to WIN but very few have the will to prepare to WIN
    [*] Invest yourself in everything you do, there's fun in being serious

Blog Entries
    Oho ok B0nd
    Hacking Is a Matter of Time Knowledge and Patience

Garage Member
    gr8, commence the operation!!!
    be a R3b3l not a P3bbl3...
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Blog Entries
    Here we have a dedicated sub-forum for it now >>
    http://www.garage4hackers.com/forumd...Up-Your-Skills

You can create a new thread and use the tag BuYS in topic name for posting your question