Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My OSCP Venture Share/Save - My123World.Com!

... I am no Expert b0nd.g4h@gmail.com b0nd's Avatar

My OSCP Venture

Dear All,

I would like to take the opportunity to share my thrilling experience with beloved members and would go in the reverse order of the events:

The D-Day:
    I opted for 10:00 pm to 10:00 pm 24 hour exam schedule. The whole day before the commencement of exam seemed a very long day. I was eagerly waiting for clock to tick 10:00 pm. So you can guess the level of confidence I had. 100%

Some how killed the time in non stressing activities, stayed a bit far from the laptop most of the day, slept a bit in afternoon, relaxed physically and mentally etc.
    And finally the clock ticked 10:00 pm

Btw, the following was the status of my battery (not the laptop guys)
    Confidence level (100%) + Mental level (100%) + Cool and Calm (100%) = Battery (100%)

So everything was in place. Just before the commencement of exam I received the mail containing VPN credentials and all other necessary information to access the exam lab.

The exam structure is available publically here

Ok, so everything was in place and I was ready to take off.

10:15 pm: Battery (100%)
    Picked up a target from the list and started working on it.

11:00 pm: Battery (100%)
    I was still on the first target. “What is the problem with my attempt? Why I am failing? Everything seems correct then why? Ok, no problem, change the attack vectors”

1:00 am: Battery (80%)
    “Damn!

2:00 am: Battery (60%)
    “Ok, the smart move would be to switch to other target instead of sticking to one only. I’ll come back to this one later on”. And so I moved to another target in the list.

3:00 am: Battery (20%)
    By this time, I did basic fingerprinting and enumeration on all the rest of the servers in the list. I did find couple of directly exploitable vulnerabilities but exploits were available with Metasploit/CANVAS etc only. And so could not use them (against the exam rules).
    “Then where and what are the loop holes? What shall I exploit?” (Vulnerability scanners like Nessus, NeXpose etc are not allowed as well)

3:30 am: Battery dropped down to 0%
    WTF!!! @#$$$%$# (&*^&*^T)

Being so much frustrated and not habitual of waking till late night I preferred to take rest and slept! Yes, I slept! And surprisingly I could sleep well.
    The only thing coming up in my mind before I fall asleep was “I don’t deserve to be a penetration tester. Better I quit the job and switch the field.” Guys, you can imagine the state of my mind.

6:00 am: Battery (20%)
    Checked gmail and found a mail from my friend s3an (he’s member of garage family now) who is also an OSCP aspirant. He wrote:
    “How's it going matey? Bet you've finished eh?”
    And battery went down to 10%. 8 hour lab time was gone and I was still at 0 points.
    By this time all the mind kick start supplements were failed.
    Relaxed a bit, took deep breath and started again...

6:30 am: Battery (20%)

I re-attempted one target.

7:00 am: w00t w00t! Battery (50%)

8:00 am: One more target down, w00t w00t! Battery (70%)

9:00 am: One more target down, w00t w00t! Battery (100%)

And I had all reasons to smile…by this time I managed to score 50+ points out of 100 and needed to get 15-20 more to clear the exam.

Took a break, had breakfast. Between 6:30 am to 9:00 am I thought of taking breakfast break after every w00t but then mind suggested sticking to exam and attempt more.

9:30 am: Battery (100%)
    I had to score 15-20 points more and I still had more than 12 hours to go. Cool! So by all means I was confident and happy.
    Picked up the 4th target and started working on it.

12:00: Battery (90%)
    “Where is the loop hole man?” I tried finding vulnerabilities in almost all of the services running on the server but of no avail.
    “No problem, I still have 10 hours to go."

1:00 pm: Battery (50%)
    Major Panic attack!!! I picked up both the remaining targets and was WTF!!! @#34^##$$^%&*&%$###@@

2:00 pm: a small w00t! Battery (80%)
    I did manage to obtain a less privilege shell on one target. So work half done. Now the issue was local privilege escalation. “That shouldn’t be a problem. I am good and was ready for it”
    So I was bit relaxed and had a very light lunch.

4:00 pm: and the Battery dropped down to 20%
    I was so badly stuck with my attempts and clock seemed ticking very fast. All bad thoughts started coming in back of my mind. “Would I fail?” Though not that bad as were last night...

Either you clear the exam or you fail. There is no mercy during the evaluation (to the best of my information)

So plan switched again. I planned to spend 30 more minutes on the current target and in case of failure, had to switch to last target.

4:30 pm: Bingo!
    w00t! w00t! w00t!
    I crossed the 70 points barrier and knew I cleared the exam.
    So to bring down this target, it took me more than 7 hours!

A big smile appeared on my face. I felt like a King who has owned the whole world! (I did play Age of Empires too much during college days so probably this was the source to arouse that feeling)
    Then, first of all I thanked GOD and then called my well wishers who were praying for me.

“Good job b0nd. I knew you would make it. Damn you are good!” ha ha ha

Actually guys, I have spent years alone facing the computer screen only. So I am quite good at talking to my self. I am the best motivator and best critic for myself. (Godwin, I know you too have this habit of talking to yourself I have seen you doing that)

Then I prepared a tea for myself. Did chit-chat on offsec irc forum with well wishers and gave them the good news.

5:30: Battery (200%)

It was time to go beyond the passing points and score 100 points.

9:30: Battery (100%)
    I Quit!
    This is the word which generally you won’t find in my dictionary. But this time I had all reasons to quit. I already had achieved the marvelous and needed a serious break. Eyes were red, body was restless, mind was @#&^%$#$ and heart was damn happy

Many of you know that I don’t posses any security certificate though I am into penetration testing for 3+ years and into hacking for 5+ years. The poor soul CCNA did expire 2 years back. So I was quite desperate to obtain a security certificate and now I am proud to say that “I am OSCP certified”; the tough most Penetration Testing certificate available today.
    [*] To follow the path: look to the master, follow the master, walk with the master, see through the master,
    ------> become the master!!! <------
    [*] Everyone has a will to WIN but very few have the will to prepare to WIN[*] Invest yourself in everything you do, there's fun in being serious

Flash Back:

I did enroll for OSCP in year 2009 when the version 2.0 was available. I took 1 month lab and before I could utilize the purchased lab period, I was sent outstation officially to do a 15 days internal PT. And the story ended there.

After that I got an internal transfer and could not purchase the lab extension the whole year as got engrossed with some other un-fruitful official issues. Then came year 2010. I planned again to buy the lab extension. Punter did try a lot but we could not make the payment because of some credit card and paypal issues (I don’t posses any credit card).

So I took this as a signal from God and analyzed my skill set. Everything seemed OK except my buffer overflow exploit writing and amendment skills. Offsec guys have covered the topic well in their pdf and videos but still I wasn’t content.

So I picked up Linux assembly, then shell coding, then exploitation and overall spent 6 months studying and practicing them before I could release my first and only remote buffer overflow exploit (http://www.exploit-db.com/exploits/13903/)

Then I got married and story ended again ha ha ha

Then came year 2011 and after a serious discussion with Punter I planned for the very precise dates of 1 month time during which I knew my wife wouldn’t be around and finally bought the 1 month lab extension. By any means that doesn’t mean my other half is not supporting or understanding. This intention was just to buy more time without hurting anyones feelings and expectations.

So this was the only reason for my less activity on forum since last 30-40 days and only Eby boss and Punter were aware of it. And surely, now they would be proud that they did excuse me for a while from the responsibilities of the forum.

I sincerely thanks Eby, Punter, Vinay (vinnu), the_empty, fb1H2S, s3an, CrimsonViper and few other fellows from offsec IRC for the help/guidance/suggestions etc.

So fb1 and the_empty, now you understand the source of my all weird-weird hack scenarios? Ha ha ha. Thanks for being patient and helpful.

__________________________________________________ _________

Some suggestions to aspirants:

1. A must go certificate if you wish to test your mettle.

2. One month lab is simply not sufficient until unless you are a Pro. Mind it, I had 1 + 1 i.e. 2 months and I knew what to expect from the labs and accordingly I did offline studies and prepared myself well before I enrolled again. Personally, I like the strategy 1 + a break + 1. This gives more time to strengthen the weak links.

3. Sharpen your Axe before appearing for the final exam. Irrespective of how many servers you managed to compromise in lab, you must sharpen you Axe! And this Axe is actually independence from metasploit. Sorry but I can not reveal much information about the Axe here.

4. And finally....Stop reading my reviews and go read someone’s who failed!
    Yes! The failed stories contain the pain and most of the times reveal the weakness because of which the aspirant could not make it. So better learn from other people mistakes!
    And that is what I did!

Best wishes!
    [*] To follow the path: look to the master, follow the master, walk with the master, see through the master,
    [*] Everyone has a will to WIN but very few have the will to prepare to WIN[*] Invest yourself in everything you do, there's fun in being serious

Blog Entries
    Congrats B0nd. That's one of the toughest test of skills you have cleared.
    I would suggest that you try and prepare for the OSCE certification now.
    Keep learning, sharing and motivating us.
    "aut inveniam viam aut faciam"

Blog Entries
    Congo.... Bhai...

Papu Pass Ho Gaya!!!!

Thanks mates.

Quote Originally Posted by 7h3rAm View Post
    Congrats B0nd. That's one of the toughest test of skills you have cleared.
    I would suggest that you try and prepare for the OSCE certification now.
    Keep learning, sharing and motivating us.
    Yes 7h3rAm, that's the next target but I have no intentions to go for it soon ..... PWB (OSCP) was a good tiring dose

Blog Entries
    Congratz mate.....and I believe this is the first OSCP in garage......eager to see many more of us nailing it....

Congratulations to a real winner!

Red face Congrats

Congrats b0nd !!

Congratzz b0nd bro
    The three great essentials to achieve anything worth while are: Hard work, Stick-to-itiveness, and Common sense. - Thomas A. Edison
    __________________________________________________ _____________________

Blog Entries
    Awsome woot woot bro, two days back I was telling empty tht ur upto something big for the last few days and ur on tht day night, sending ur wife to India :P.

And ya we First garage member to bang OSCP, and we will all soon follow ur path and bring good news to garage master .
    Hacking Is a Matter of Time Knowledge and Patience